Friday 27 December 2013

Dyson Airblade V

DYSON AIRBLADE V by Dyson

Location: Birchanger Green Services, Bishop Stortford
 
Stopping at services is never all that pleasant. You're tired from driving, the food is expensive and the scenery is dull. But strangely I was looking forward to stopping at Birchanger Green on my way back from visiting family for Christmas. Why? Because I knew that I would get to use a Dyson Airblade V. 

For those of you not familiar with the Dyson Airblade, let me assure you it is the creme de la creme of hand dryers. The Rolls Royce if you will. Words alone can not describe the experience so I when you see one in a public toilet make a beeline for it and treat yourself to a luxury experience. You'll feel like royalty.

But why is it so good? Let's start with the power - there is no doubt this is the most powerful hand dryer on the market. It claims to dry your hands within 10 seconds but usually even half that time is more than adequate (although I must admit I often give myself a good 30 seconds just so I can prolong the joy). 

Like the earlier Dyson Airblades the V enables a quality drying experience without the need to rub one's hands together. I have always felt that having to do this is indicative of a poor quality hand dryer - why should I have to the work that the dryer should be doing? When I dry my hands I expect not to have to use any of my body's own energy otherwise I would use a towel. Now, not only does the Airblade V mean I can relax and let it do all the work, I prefer to its predecessors. Although I loved earlier Dyson Airblades for their power and speed I didn't always enjoy the way I had to lower my hands in. It felt strangely alien and was maybe a bit too ahead of its time, even for a connoisseur like me. The new Airblade is more reassuring - twin jets of filtered air roar out of the bottom in a V shape and feels more familiar. No doubt in the future hand dryers will have all sorts of exciting and experimental interfaces but I just don't feel the world is ready yet - the Airblade V is a fine compromise though being both futuristic and modest at the same time.

Before I give my rating I feel I must reiterate again - as we head into 2014 this as good as hand dryers get and I don't expect any other dryer introduced in this coming year to change that. In fact we may be looking at the emperor of hand dryers for at least a few years. Yes my friends, the Dyson Airblade V is that good.

POWER 3
TEMPERATURE 3
SPEED 3

BONUS FOR BEING THE BEST: 3

OVERALL RATING: 106

*scores are out of 3

1 comment:

  1. never even seen an Airblade V.. hopefully 2014 will bring me the good fortune

    ReplyDelete