Tuesday 7 January 2014

Tornado Lite Heatstore

I ran into this "curate's egg" in a Starbucks somewhere down the A14 on a drive down to Cambridge to visit my sister. I may not ever have encountered it if not for my father's weak bladder who was driving (my father, not his bladder).

The first thing that struck me was the name tornado lite. This seems a contradiction in terms a tornado by nature being very powerful. "Whatever next, " I thought, "Low fat hurricane? Tsunami dry?" But as I came to use it I came to understand why they came to name it as they did and why it was apt.

As it switches on the tornado quickly revs up to a terrific roar that appeals to all the manliest parts of a man, the same way a jet engine or a powerful car acclerating gives you a sound boner. I am man. I am mighty. I have dominance over nature. Give me tits. Give me curry. Put the footie on and pour me a stella. Today I shall be a king.

Except the roar dies down. And then starts up again. And then dies. Yes this is one of those irritating handdryers that will only work if your hands are in a ludicrously precise spot. What a waste! The tornado has power (so much so that it was moving the veins in my fathers hands), it has that lovely sound, it has heat and it would definitely dry my hands in seconds if it didn't keep switching off. It's a perfect example of how one design flaw can let down an otherwise great dryer. Sadly in the tornado lite's case the jet is also very narrow meaning a lot of needless hand jiggling to get full coverage.

Sorry tornado. It's back to the drawing board. Next time drop the lite part and maybe make a tornado XTreem. Something that will tear my hands off. As long as they're dry it will be my pleasure.

Finally, check out the sound recording below to hear both the way the Tornado Lie roars and the frequency with which it turns on and off due to its overly sensitive sensor.

https://soundcloud.com/myhanddryerreviews/tornado-lite-heatstore

No comments:

Post a Comment